Friday, January 9, 2009

Frog Eye Salad

Just because I'm not making dinner for us tonight doesn't mean I'm still not cooking for tonight! For my meetings we are having potluck dinner tonight and I was assigned a salad so I decided to make Frog Eye Salad. I was always amazed when people made this because it looked complicated but it is not!

Here is the recipe:

Frog Eye Salad
1 (16oz) pkg Acine de Pepe Pasta, cooked and drained
**Just a note: Our Wal-Mart does not carry this so I have to go to Smith's
3/4 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/4 C Pineapple Juice
1/4 tsp Salt
3 T Flour
1 Can Crushed Pineapple, Drained (use for the juice needed above)
1 Can Chunk Pineapple, Drained (use above)
2 Can Mandarin Oranges, Drained
3 C Marshmallows
12oz Cool Whip
1 C Coconut (I omit this)

Cook the following ingredients on low-med heat until thick: Sugar, Eggs, Pineapple Juice, Salt, and Flour. Pour this sauce over Acini De Pepe and chill overnight. Add the following before serving: crushed and chunked pineapple, madarin oranges, marshmallows and Cool Whip. Also, Coconut if you use it. Makes 20 servings.

Here is the final product. I like to add the fruit and stuff a few hours before serving so the Cool Whip mixes in for a little while. I know there is a recipe that uses pudding instead of making the sauce but I don't have it and someone told me it is not as good. Let me know if anyone has tried that recipe and what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my....I knew there was a reason we were friends. I need some new dinner ideas. The mac and cheese is getting old!!!
    Thanks....I will try them.
    Love, Carol

    ReplyDelete